Below is the freshest-tasting recipe for guacamole, adapted this recipe on from SimplyRecipes.com. The ingredient list includes serrano peppers, but you can substitute jalapenos or add something spicier to the mix!
Makes enough for 6 as a snack or appetizer, cooking time 25 minutes +
- 2-3 ripe avocados
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp of fresh lime juice or lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp to 1/4 cup of minced red onion or thinly sliced green onion
- 1-2 serrano chiles, stems and seeds removed, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (leaves and tender stems), finely chopped
- A dash of freshly grated black pepper
- 1/2 ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped
- Mash the avocado with a fork or a potato masher.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Let sit 15 minutes to one hour before serving.
The key to great guacamole is not a molcajete, although good for you if you have one. It’s all about ripe, fresh ingredients. You can find a primer on cutting avocados and onions at these links: