Wasabi Kale Salad is a fusion of Japanese-style flavors, the perfect amount of spiciness, and LOADS of nutrients. Letting the kale sit in a wasabi vinaigrette makes the leaves more tender and mild; anyone can get into kale when it tastes like this. The vinaigrette, too, tastes great in a variety of salads, so make some extra if you can!
serves 4-6, cooking time approximately 20 minutes, plus one hour marinating time
- 10-12 ounces of shredded kale, thick stems removed
- 2 avocados
- 2 shallots
- One 15 ounce can of sliced heart of palm, drained of liquid
- 1-2 jalapeños
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- In a small bowl, whisk together the grapeseed oil, sesame oil, wasabi, and rice wine vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- After cleaning and drying the kale, place it in a large bowl, preferably one that can be fitted with a lid. Pour the vinaigrette over the kale and stir to distribute the dressing. Put a lid on the bowl and let the kale marinate for about an hour, shaking the bowl occasionally to re-distribute the vinaigrette.
- While the kale leaves are setting, roughly chop the avocado, finely dice the shallots, and de-seed and dice the jalapeños. Remember to wear gloves as you handle the jalapeño!
- When the kale has softened a bit, add the rest of the ingredients and mix before serving. This salad will keep for up to three days in the fridge, and the dressing will continue to infuse the kale the longer you let it sit.
Aside from the wasabi vinaigrette, another key ingredient in this salad is sliced hearts of palm. They’re cylindrical, white chunks of palm meat sold in the canned vegetable aisle of your nearest grocery store. The texture of heart of palm is similar to artichokes, with a bright and nutty flavor.
All in one bowl, you’ve got your crunchy jalapeños and hearts of palm, spicy wasabi dressing, creamy avocado, and tender, flavorful kale. The result is a delicious lunch or dinner that will fill you up, with no oven required!